Tuesday, May 15, 2012

PROJECT THREE :: Inspiration

The tutorial following our presentation allowed me a chance to discuss how to further explore my design with my tutor. We were discussing that my metaphor from nature worked extremely well with my concept, the aspect I've taken from my folie, and as well as my learning experience. One hurdle I've faced over the past week is how my book shop can be sustainable. While I believe that fact that it will only provide 2nd hand books is a sustainable entity in itself, but I want some element of the building to be sustainable. I constantly kept looking to my nature metaphor, Slime Mold, as the answer for sustainability, but once talking with Yvonne she suggested using books as a sustainable element. We discussed that the books will have to be cured and treated, but could ultimately act as insulation in the walls. Further research needs to be made, but the types of book could determine what each room is (i.e. novel, non-fiction, newspaper, magazine, etc.).

From here, I have done some research and found 2 examples of books being used as some sort of structural/sustainable element.

au.timeout.com
 This first image is of the bar at the Archive Bar at West End. Books have been used as a structural and obviously an aesthetic element of the bar.


cubitt.com.au
This second image is ok the ceiling at the QUT Kelvin Grove Library. The spines of the books create the "wave" effect.

The first image will obviously be of most value to what I'm trying to achieve, but not only on a bench, but also the walls...

No comments:

Post a Comment