Sunday, March 25, 2012

PROJECT ONE :: Complete




Our Story:

I am strolling across the Story Bridge when something intriguing catches my eye. It is in the distance and I wonder, “How do I get down there? What is that place?” Countless times I have made the journey and yet I’ve never questioned what might lie beneath. A magnificent structure, which is deeply iconic of Brisbane City, the bridge has always stood tall with its far-reaching visibility, enforcing a looming presence upon the city and surrounding suburbs.  I decide to explore this mysterious place existing beneath, taking a left at the end of the bridge following a pathway. I look up and see the underside of the bridge; I’m overwhelmed by its presence. I have never experienced the structure in this way. It’s as though it’s following me.

I realise this place has a very strange but beautiful quality; why is it that I’ve never noticed this place before. Historical buildings stand at the bottom of the steep, towering cliffs surrounded by an expansive park; a path stretching its length. I continue to venture through the space; still feeling like something is looming behind me.

As I approach this structure, I notice that it has similar materiality to the bridge behind me. I get closer and start to see reflections of the site around me in the glass panels. As I get closer, the reflections alter; they entice me to look around. I discover a whole new view of the city, the water, the way a tree hangs over the path. Moving forward, the reflections begin to align. I can see the Story Bridge in one of the reflections; I knew it was there, however, I see the site in a different way. Connections begin to happen. I can see the historical buildings in the other glass panel and I am again reminded of the ominous presence of the overshadowing bridge. I see some very faint silhouettes behind the glass, so I walk through and look back, there are people sitting within the structure, looking at the framed views of the site; pondering, thinking, relaxing.

I feel as though I have really discovered something today. I have learnt about a whole new place and I want to learn more. What were the old buildings used for? Why are they here? Why have I never been down here? I go home feeling quite amazed. What an incredible encounter I’ve had today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment